1. Define Pollution
2. Define: a) Air pollution b) Water pollution c) Noise pollution(AU) d) Marine
Pollution e) Soil pollution (AU) f) Thermal pollution
3. What are the waste minimization techniques? (AU)
4. Classify the sources of water pollution.
5. What are landslides? (AU)
6. What is Tsunami?
7. What is earthquake?
8. What is cyclone?
9. What is Minamata disease?
10. What is Itai-Itai?
11. Why water soluble pollutants don’t get biomagnified?
12. What is Grey water?
13. Define: COD
14. Define: BOD
15. What is PAN?
16. Differentiate between smog and photochemical smog.
17. List some methods of preventing air pollution by SPM.
18. Suggest some methods to dispose hazardous wastes.
19. Distinguish between incineration and pyrolysis.
20. What is biomethanation?
21. What is E-waste?
22. What is biomedical waste? Suggest a method of its disposal.
23. Differentiate between recycling and reuse. (AU)
24. Give examples of primary and secondary air pollutants. (AU)
25.Define decibel. Give the permissible noise levels in heavy machinery shop and hospital zone.
26. What is Love Canal tragedy?
27. Differentiate between sound and noise.
28. Distinguish between “Sewage” and “Effluent”.
29. What is composting?
30. What is vermicomposting?
31. What is source, path and receiver concept?
32. What are the sources of radioactive pollution?
33. What are the effects of radiation on living organisms?
34. Write any four water pollutants. (AU)
35. What is oxidation pond?
36. Write briefly how human activities can introduce thermal pollution into streams.(AU)
37. Give any four methods to control noise pollution. (AU)
38. How nuclear hazards can be disposed safely? (AU)
39. What is meant by photochemical smog? (AU)
40. Differentiate between pollution prevention and pollution control.
Part B Unit-3 ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION Important 16 Mark Question and answer CY1201 Big question
1. What are the causes and effects of air pollution? (6) (AU)
2. What are the control methods for soil pollution? (4) (AU)
3. Explain how marine pollution can be controlled? (6) (AU)
4. Describe the various natural disasters.(8) (AU)
5. Explain the role of individuals in the prevention of pollution. (8) (AU)
6. Explain: (i) Over utilization of surface and ground water. (ii) Adverse effects of
agricultural practices away from the farm.(8+8) (AU)
7. Discuss the major soil pollution and their impacts. (6) (AU)
8. Explain the various methods of controlling air pollution. (10) (AU)
9. Explain the disaster management in detail. (4) (AU)
10. Explain the various methods of controlling water pollution. (12) (AU)
11. Discuss the causes and effects of (i) air pollution and (ii) water pollution(16)(AU)
12. What is earthquake? Explain its effects. What measures should be taken to
mitigate these disasters. (16) (AU)
13. What is thermal pollution? Discuss the damages caused by heated effluent on aquatic systems. Suggest control measures. (8) (AU)
14. Give an account of the action plan for cyclone management. (8)
15. What are the major pollutants of atmosphere? Enumerate the sources and adverse effects caused by these pollutants on the biological systems. (10)
16. With a neat diagram, explain the principle, working, advantages and
disadvantages of electrostatic precipitator and gravitational settling chambers.
17. What is the significance of Dissolved Oxygen (DO) in rivers? Explain. (8)
18. What are the effects of air pollution on the oceans? (8)
19. Explain the effects of oil pollution on the oceans.
20. With a flow diagram explain Activated Sludge Process for waste water treatment.(8)
21. Explain the trickling filter method with a flow diagram.
22. Compare and contrast activated sludge process and septic tank for treating sewage.
23. Discuss the control of air pollution from automobiles.
24. Explain the working of a catalytic converter with a neat sketch.
25. Explain how effluent waste water is treated. (16)
26. Discuss the various methods of disposal of municipal solid wastes. (16)
27. Explain how fat soluble pollutants like DDT get bio magnified. (8) (AU)
28. Explain the concept of source, path receiver in the control of noise pollution.(8)
29. Explain how BOD is determined.
30. List the major contaminants in sewage and discuss their effects.